Lamb Sausage & Shiitake Mushroom Ragu
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 16 oz Fox Trot Farm White Wine & Garlic Lamb Sausage
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary, finely minced
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped (no garlic needed, it's in the sausage!)
- 2/3 cup each finely chopped carrots & celery
- 8 oz fresh shiitake mushrooms stems removed and caps thinly sliced
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup dry white wine such as Pinto Grigio
- 28 oz can San Marzano whole peeled tomatoes (using SM tomatoes does make a difference)
- 1 cup water + 1 tsp. low sodium soy sauce (a secret ingredient!)
- 1 3-inch piece Parmesan cheese rind, or 1/2 cup shredded plus more to serve
- 1 lb. pasta of choice, prepared A nice broad, flat pasta such as farfalle is perfect for this hardy ragu.
- Heat Dutch oven over medium heat. Add 1 tbsp. oil and heat to shimmering.
- Add the Fox Trot Farm White Wine & Garlic Lamb sausage into the pan. Brown, breaking apart and turning frequently, till cooked through. Spoon meat into a bowl and drain fat/broth, reserving 1/4 cup.
- Add 2 tbsp. oil to Dutch oven and heat to shimmering. Add finely chopped onions and rosemary and stir till onions begin to soften, adjusting heat so you don't brown the onions.
- Pour in the 1/4 cup of reserved broth and add the carrots and celery. Cover the pan and simmer, stirring frequently, to steam the veggies a bit to soften, about 3 minutes.
- Sit in the fresh mushrooms along with the 1/2 tsp. kosher salt and 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper. Pour in the 1 cup white wine and stir to combine all.
- Bring to a fast simmer over medium heat to cook off the alcohol and soften the shiitakes, about 4 minutes, stirring frequently, while you prepare the tomatoes.
- For the tomatoes, dump the whole can into a medium bowl and, with your clean hands, break up the whole tomatoes into small pieces. Scrape the bowl of tomatoes into the Dutch oven. Use the 1 cup of water + soy sauce to rinse out the tomato can. Stir all to combine.
- If using the cheese rind, add it now. Bring mixture to a simmer. Reduce heat and simmer slowly, stirring frequently, for about 30 minutes. If using shredded cheese, stir it in now to melt.
- Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper to suit your taste. Serve over pasta.