Fox Trot Farm Savory Lamb, Pumpkin, & Black Bean Stoup
A savory thick soup or brothy stew filled with bright flavors of Fox Trot Farm ground lamb, freshly roasted pumpkin, black beans, and tomatoes with green chilies.
- Dutch Oven or 5 quart sauce pan
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound Fox Trot Farm ground lamb
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 8 grinds black pepper
- 1 ½ pounds fresh roasted pumpkin cubed
- 4 cups black beans cooked, drained, rinsed
- 1 can tomatoes with green chilis undrained
- 1 quart low sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley or cilantro or more as desired
- Brown ground lamb in the olive oil over medium heat, breaking it up as it browns.
- Add onion, garlic, oregano, cumin, salt, and black pepper, and sauté, stirring frequently, till the onions soften.
- Stir in the pumpkin, black beans, and the tomatoes and chilis.
- Pour in the chicken broth and bring back to a simmer.
- Stir in chopped parsley or cilantro.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasoning (salt & pepper) if needed.
- Serve and enjoy!
***I used a small fresh pie pumpkin for this recipe, but you can also use a butternut squash. Wash and cut the pumpkin or butternut squash into quarters and remove the seeds. Place in a microwave safe bowl with a few tablespoons of water, then cover with plastic wrap. Poke several slits in the plastic wrap and cook in the microwave at 80% power till tender, about 8 minutes. Let cool to touch and scrape flesh from skin. Chop into bite size pieces and use in recipe.