Fox Trot Farm Ground Lamb Burrito Bowl
One day we were so hungry for a savory lamb supper with south-of-the-border flavors that I created this yummy burrito bowl using our delicious ground lamb and ingredients most of us have in our pantry. It was a hit with Farmer Bob, and it really stretches a pound of lamb to serve many hungry mouths. BONUS! It’s a one skillet meal and goes together in minutes!
This recipe begins with one pound of our Fox Trot Farm ground lamb. Call or text to reserve yours and stock up your freezer before we sell out. 803-804-3541 is our cell number, and you can pick it up by arrangement here on the farm or at the Matthews Community Farmers Market on Saturday mornings.
Here is the recipe:
Fox Trot Farm Lamb Burrito Bowl
- 1 pound Fox Trot Farm Ground Lamb
- 1 cup chopped onion
- ½ cup water
- 2 tbsp Taco seasoning, from your favorite brand
- 1 can tomatoes & chilis, (Such as Rotel), undrained
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can whole kernel plain or Southwest (Del Monte) corn, drained, optional
- Toppings such as sour cream, shredded cheese, sliced scallions, cilantro, etc.
- Cooked rice, heated (we love the Goya brand)
- Corn or flour tortilla wedges
- In a large nonstick skillet, brown the Fox Trot Farm ground lamb and then drain, reserving 2 tablespoons of drippings.
- Return the meat to the skillet with the reserved drippings and stir in the onions. Saute till the onions begin to soften.
- Add the water to the pan and stir in the taco seasoning. Bring to a simmer, which takes just a minute, and then add the tomatoes with green chilis.
- Stir the black beans into the mixture, and the corn if you opt for that addition.
- Cover the skillet and bring the contents to a boil, then lower the heat to a gentle simmer for 10 minutes.
- Taste for seasoning and add more salt if needed. Taco seasoning is generally salty enough for us.
- Serve buffet style with accompaniments for fun so each can prepare their own bowl to their liking.